Melt Suet Cake recipe
Northern Carolina, United States of America
You will need:
- 1 cup suet or lard
- 1 cup crunchy peanut butter
- 2 cups “quick cook” oatmeal
- 2 cups yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup of all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
If you choose you can also add ground nuts.
How to make it!
1. Melt the suet and peanut butter in a large pan.
2. Stir in the remaining ingredients, a couple of cups at a time. The mix should look and feel like cookie dough. If it’s too runny, add more flour.
3. Spoon it into trays or small glass dishes.
4. Press the dough down to remove all the air.
5. Cut up the mixture in to small squares using a sharp knife.
6. Now place it in the fridge and leave it until it hardens.
7. Now you can put some of the pieces out for the birds to eat and freeze the rest to use later!
8. The birds that visit your school grounds and garden will love it and they will love you more if nearby there is water for them to drink!