What you will need!
- Old plastic containers e.g. yoghurt pots, jelly pots, squash bottles.
- Some twigs or old garden cane.
- Bird seed and tasty bird food extras e.g. grated cheese, cake crumbs, sultanas and other dried fruits, suet, sunflower seeds, nuts and mealworms.
- A pair of scissors and/or sharp knife.
- Mixing bowl and spoon.
How to make!
- To make the bird pudding, first chop the lard into small chunks and melt it down in a mixing bowl. One block of lard will make enough bird pudding to fill two halves of a squash bottle or about 4-6 small yoghurt/jelly pots.
- Now mix together all the ingredients until they are all sticky and well-coated.
- So you can hang the pots outside poke or scrape a hole in the top of the plastic container with a knife or scissors.
- Tie a piece of string to each pot or small container.
- Now using a spoon place the mixture in to each pot.
- Leave bird mixture in the fridge for a few hours to cool.
- Remove from fridge and tap each container or pot. The Mealworm Pudding will slip out of each container.
- Now take and hang each Mealworm pudding (food ball) to a tree.