Wild Bird Food Cake
A great winter treat for your garden visitors!
- 1/3 of a cup sunflower seeds
- 1/3 of a cup Niger seeds
- 1/3 of a cup grated cheese
- 1/2 a cup dried fruit, soaked overnight
- 1/2 a cup unsalted peanuts
- 1 cup of lard or beef suet
- Hanging bird feeder suitable for fat balls
How to make it!
- Chop the nuts and fruit finely.
- Stir into the rest of the dry ingredients until they're all thoroughly combined.
- Melt your suet or lard in a saucepan over a low heat.
- Remove from the heat and stir in your dry ingredients a little at a time.
- Divide the mixture into portions the size of your hanging bird feeder. Using your hands, mould into tightly packed balls just slightly smaller than the diameter allowed by the feeder.
- Place on a tray covered with greaseproof paper. Once cooled, refrigerate overnight.
- Put the food out for your birds to eat!