Bird Seed Bell
What you will need!
- 2 Tablespoons of honey
- 1 Cup of bird seed
- 1/4 of cup crushed peanuts
- 1/4 of cup crushed or whole peppers
- Terra cotta pot or pots of the size you wish to make your bells
- An oven cooking bag
- 1/4 cup of dried fruit of various types
- Wire for the hanger
How to make!
- In a large glass bowl you will mix your bird seed, peanuts, dried fruit and peppers together until they are evenly mixed.
- Add honey mixing thoroughly until all the seed are well coated. If you need to you can add more honey but not too much or your seed bell will not set up firm enough.
- Place your oven bags inside the terracotta pots
- Take your wire and cut a length that is roughly 1 1/2 the length of your terracotta pot.
- Fold the wire in half then poke the loop end of your wire through the oven bag and out the hole in the bottom of the pot.
- Take your seed mixture and firmly press it into the terracotta pot until the pot is full and you are sure that it contains no air pockets.
- You really want to mash the seed down as firmly as possible as that helps it hold its shape as a bell when it is finished.
- Set the oven to 200 degrees.
- Place terracotta pot filled with birdseed on a greased baking sheet and bake in the oven for about 45 minutes.
- When it has finished cooking and is completely cool you can then grasp the edges of the cooking bag and gently pull the seed out of the bell.
- Carefully remove the cooking bag from the seed bell, leave to cool and then place outside for your birds to eat.