Bluebird Suet Banquet
This mixture is very popular with bluebirds.
What you will need:
- MIX 1 cup of peanut butter
- 4 cups of yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup of unbleached or whole-wheat flour
- ADD 1 cup of fine sunflower seed chips
- 1 cup peanut of hearts (or finely ground nuts)
- 1/2-1 cup of Zante currants (or raisins cut in halves, or chopped dried cherries)
- DRIZZLE and STIR IN 1 cup of rendered, melted suet
How to make it!
- Mix the ingredients, except the suet, together in a bowl.
- Resulting mix will be crumbly and should consist of bean/pea sized lumps from the drizzling of the melted suet.
- If too sticky after cooling, mix in a bit more flour. If too dry, drizzle in more melted suet.
- Refrigerate any mix you are not using to prevent suet from turning rancid.
- Add the suet and melt over a low heat.
- Watch carefully as suet is a fat and can start on fire with too high heat.
- Strain out the stringy bits (cracklings) and then leave to cool.
- Cut in to cubes and place outside in the garden.