Cookie Cutter Bird Feeders
Make tasty cookie crunch biscuits for your birds to eat!
What you will need:
- bird seed (we use a wild bird variety)
- unflavoured gelatine
- boiling water
- large cookie cutters
- straws cut into 5 cm pieces
- large bowl
- baking sheet
- parchment or wax paper
- string (we like to use jute or baker's twine)
How to make it!
- Dissolve 2 tablespoons (or 2 individual packets) of gelatine in 2/3 cup of boiling water (adult help may be needed for this step).
- When the gelatine is completely dissolved, add 2 cups of bird seed.
- Mix for 2 to 3 minutes to allow the seeds to soak up the gelatine mixture.
- Place your cookie cutters onto a parchment- or wax paper-lined baking sheet and carefully fill them with the bird seed mixture (this gives those developing motor skills a great workout!)
- Cover the filled cookie cutters with another sheet of parchment or wax paper and press the seeds down firmly.
- Gently insert a straw segment into each shape in order to create a hole for the loop of string you'll be adding later.
- Allow the bird seed cookies to dry for 3 or 4 hours (flipping them halfway through) before gently pushing them out of the cookie cutters and letting them finish drying overnight. In the morning, gently pluck out the straw segments. Add a loop of string and then hang them outside.