January Bird Seed Cakes
What you will need!
- Biscuit cutters or empty yoghurt pots
- String and scissors
- Bowl and spoon
- Birdseed, nuts, raisins
- Grated cheese
- Lard or suet
How to make it!
- Aim for equal quantities of each, put the birdseed, nuts, raisins, grated cheese and lard or suet into the bowl. Mix it all together well.
- Place your cutters flat on a baking tray lined with greaseproof paper. Take a metre of string, make a knot about 2cm from one end then poke the string through the hole in the pot so the knot is inside.
- Spoon your birdseed mixture into each prepared cutter or pot. Poke a hole through the mixture in each cutter near one edge to make a hole for the string. Fill as many moulds as you can until all the mixture has been used up. Place the filled moulds in the fridge and leave to chill.
- When the mixture has set, you can press out the shapes from the biscuit cutters or cut the plastic pot away from the cake with scissors. Thread string through the hole and hang up outside. Use just one at a time, keeping the others in the fridge until needed.