National Trust Winter Bird Fat Cake Recipe
What you will need!
Winter is a great time to see the birds in the bare branches of garden trees. One way to encourage them to return is to hang a tasty fat cake from a tree.
- Lard or suet (room temperature)
- Bird seed
- Dried fruit
- Grated cheese
- Dry leftovers such as oats, bread, cake
- Cling film
How to make it!
Fat cakes are a good help to birds in the lean months of January and February.
- Use one part fat to two parts dry mixture.
- Melt the fat slightly if it’s chilled and hard.
- Mix all ingredients together in a bowl.
- Line a yoghurt pot with cling film and make a hole in the bottom.
- Thread a length of string through the hole and tie a knot to secure it.
- Pack the pot with the mixture and put in the fridge.
- When set, cut away the pot, peel away the cling film and hang in a tree.
- If it’s crumbly after chilling, increase your fat ratio next time.