South Africa Feeder Recipes
If you wish to encourage a variety of birds to your garden place bird feeders at ground level, at table top level, and have bird feeders hanging from the trees. Make sure that where you place the feeders in a sheltered spot near trees and shrubs where they can fly to safety.
- Homemade Bird Seed
- Mix 1 cup of millet, 1 cup of cracked corn and 2 ½ cups of black-oil sunflower seeds in a bowl.
- Each day pour some of the food mix in to a feeder and hang outside on your bird feeder or a branch of a tree.
- Seed Ball
- Create a smooth paste with 2 tablespoons flour and 4 tablespoons water.
- Mix in 1 cup of bird seed and place it onto a piece of greased foil, shape this mixture into a bell.
- Push a loop of wire for through the centre for hanging.
- Leaving the foil slightly open at the top bake in a moderate oven for half an hour.
- Leave to cool overnight.
- Hang outside on your feeder or by a branch.
- Sugar Water
- You will need a cup of sugar dissolved in 1 litre of warm water.
- When cooled place in a container in a tree. Old plastic bottles fitted with a small valve are perfect.