Chewy Bird Bars
Yummy bird cakes for your garden birds to eat!
What you will need:
- 1 cup of suet.
- 1 cup of peanut butter.
- 2 and a half cups of cornmeal (or crushed cornflakes, or rice crispies.)
- 1 cup of wild bird seed, 1/4 C peanuts.
- 1/2 cup of raisins.
- 1 chopped apple.
How to make it!
- Melt down the suet, then add the peanut butter, cornmeal, cornflakes or rice crispies, and seeds. Mix thoroughly on a low to moderate heat. Remove from the heat and stir in the apple pieces.
- Prepare about 10 paper cups. Punch a hole in the base with a thick tapestry needle. Thread up the needle with strong yarn or string and tie a knot in the end that is inside the cup. Repeat with another 9 cups.
- While the mixture is still soft place about 2 tablespoons of the mix in each cup to half full.
- Gently pull the string through from the base till the knot lies in the centre and on top of the mix. Leave it to cool.
- After about 20 minutes, the cake will have hardened enough to be removed from the cup. Then, turn it upside-down, knot at the base, and hang up in a tree.