Benner’s Stuffed Peppers
This is a bird food recipe from Florida USA for large and small birds that visit your gardens.
- 1 small green pepper
- 2 ounces chopped chicken, cooked well done
- 1/4 cup lima beans, peas or mixed vegetables
- 1/4 cup shredded carrots, cucumber skins, potato skins or a mixed combination
- 1/4 cup bird food (whatever your bird eats daily/no large pieces)
- 1/4 cup low sodium chicken gravy or tomato soup
How to make it!
- Pre-heat oven to 325 degrees.
- Cut off the top off the pepper and clean out the seeds – creating a small “bowl.”
- In a bowl, mix the remaining ingredients well and spoon into the pepper halve.
- Place the pepper halves into a glass baking dish and cook in the oven for 10 minutes. This will help distribute flavours and soften the vegetables. Do not over-cook.
- Remove the peppers from oven and let cool before serving.
- Cut the pepper in to 1 centimetre slices from top to bottom. This will make it easier for your bird to pull the pepper apart and get to the food m
- Place the puffed pepper in bird food bowls and serve.