Summer fruits for Blackbirds
You will need:
- BBQ or Bamboo Skewers
- Chopped nuts
- Chopped raisins/cherries
Blackbirds are Omnivores. They eat insect larvae, mealworms, fruit, berries, seeds and grain.
How to make it!
Blackbirds enjoy eating summer fruits. These can be chopped in to small pieces and left on a bird table or scattered on the ground. However, other birds too like these foods! Often Magpies, Robins and Wood Pigeons will collect and fly away with the fruit you put out before the Blackbirds arrive.
Put your fruit on skewers and stick the food in the ground. Now all birds can eat the fruit you put out as the hungry Robins and Magpies cannot run away with the food!
Check with an adult that you have the correct equipment!
- Cut your apples, pears and bananas in to large pieces on a chopping board using a kitchen knife.
- Take the pieces of fruit and attach these to your skewers. BBQ skewers are best but you can use bamboo.
- Place the food outside close to your Bird Feeding station.
- Place a tray of clean water close by for birds to drink.
- Re-stock your skewers every 2-3 days during the summer months.