Seed and Nut log
- 3 or 4 aluminium loaf pans (approx. 10 cms x 20 cms)
- large mixing bowl
- 1 package gelatine
- 2 to 3 cups mixed nuts for birds
- 2 to 3 cups of your favourite mixed wild bird seed
How to make it!
- With needle nose pliers, pinch the corners of the loaf pans to the size of your feeder cage (mine is 3" x 3" x 8").
- In a large mixing bowl, prepare the gelatine as per package instructions.
- Coarsely chop the nuts (they adhere better if chopped first).
- Add the mixed nuts and bird seed to the gelatine about 1 cup at a time, stirring until everything is completely coated with the gelatine and no liquid remains at the bottom of the bowl. Adjust the amount of nuts and seeds as needed.
- Spoon into prepared aluminium loaf pans and gently pat down to form a mould.
- Refrigerate for a few hours until set.
This is also a favourite of red squirrels.