Peanut and mealworm cake for Starlings
You will need:
- Plain flour (250 grams)
- Lard (125 grams)
- 2 handfuls of chopped peanuts
- 2 handfuls of dried mealworms
- A little water but not too much!
If you have not seen a Starling in your garden or school grounds for ages try this recipe out. Leave the food on your bird table or sprinkle it on the ground. Then move away and watch the Starlings land!
How to make it!
- Place the plain flour and lard in a large bowl.
- Mix the plain flour and lard together until you have a soft dough.
- Add a tablespoon or two of water to the dough mix.
- Add the 2 handfuls of finely chopped nuts to your bowl.
- Now add the two handfuls of mealworms and mix together all the ingredients.
- Separate the mix and make a number of small balls or other shapes.
- Leave the shapes overnight in the fridge.
- Next morning remove from fridge and place the food on a bird table, in hanging feeders or on the ground.
Please note: Starlings will have difficulty removing the food from hanging feeders so best to leave the food out on a bird table or place it on the ground.